If you are in the Toronto area, I’d love to have you join me for my presentation and book-signing for our two new books!
This is the write-up for the first book from our website, which includes a preview as well. (Note that the books are releasing Sept. 1!)
Combining the art of dramatic storytelling with biography, Church history, and Catholic teaching and belief, this collection of stories features saints from different eras, continents, and walks of life. Each brief story highlights a particular aspect of or challenge in the saint’s life and connects it to a part of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Showing how real people lived the eight beatitudes and seven sacraments, their stories reveal the richness of the Christian life and offer inspirational models of the faith. This book’s companion volume, Saints Alive! The Gospel Witnessed takes a similar approach, showing us how to live a Christian life through the example of holy-yet relatable-men and women who have lived the Gospel. Teachers and students of the faith and individuals who are simply looking for captivating stories to read will find that presenting components of the Catholic faith through the lives of the saints is both educational and enjoyable.
Along with their biographical portraits, each included saint features a prayer, a fact box, notes, lesser-known facts, and a quote from their writings. A “Reader’s Guide” contains personal reflection and group discussion questions and directs you to relevant parts of the Bible and the Catechism. This unique feature makes this volume ideal for RCIA teachers and participants, adult faith formation groups, parish book clubs, and independent study.
This volume contains stories of:
- Saint Francis of Assisi
- Saint Juan Diego
- Saint Germain
- Saint Monica
- Saint Bernadette
- Saint Gregory the Great
- Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
- Venerable Teresita Quevedo
- Saint Frances Cabrini
- Saint Martin de Porres
- Saint Kateri Tekakwitha
- Blessed Anuarite
- Saint Elizabeth of Hungary
- Saint Catherine of Siena
- Saint Isidore Bakanga
- Saint Mary MacKillop
- Saint Paul
- Saint Cecilia
- Saint Helen
- Saint Lorenzo Ruiz
- Saint Thomas Aquinas
- Saint Elizabeth Seton
- Saint Rita of Cascia
- Saint Augustine
- Blessed Peter ToRot
- Blesseds Zelie and Louis Martin
- Saint Noel Chabanel
- Saint Thomas Becket
- Saint Alphonsa
- Saint Damien de Veuster
Features & Benefits:
- Authored by experienced screenwriters who employ a unique storytelling format
- Paired with companion volume, Saints Alive! The Gospel Witnessed
- Highlights the connection between Christian belief and practice
- Presents content in a distinctive framework extending beyond biography
- Features a diversified selection of saints and blesseds in a historical and global context
- Incorporates adult catechesis and faith formation
- Facilitates personal reflection and group discussion
- Suited for teachers, book clubs, faith groups, and individual readers
About the Authors:
- Marie Paul Curley, FSP As a child, the stories of the saints captured Sister Marie Paul Curley’s imagination. Her early fascination continues today as a Daughter of St. Paul; in addition to co-authoring this book, she has produced children’s storybooks for Catholic cable TV, as well as an English adaptation of an animated series on the saints. Sister Marie Paul continues to write for print and screen, including her book, See Yourself Through God’s Eyes: 52 Meditations To Grow in Self-Esteem (Pauline Books & Media, 2009). For more resources on the saints in this book, or to contact Sister Marie Paul, visit: www.pauline.org/mariepaulcurley.
- Mary Lea Hill, FSP
Sister Mary Lea Hill, a member of the Daughters of St. Paul since 1964, has enjoyed communicating the faith through a variety of apostolic assignments. Her skills as a story teller were honed as director of audiovisual productions when Pauline Books & Media first produced animated features in the early 80s. An editor and author for many years, Sister Mary Lea has written several books, including the best-selling Basic Catechism (co-authored with Sister Susan Helen Wallace). Sister Mary Lea can be found on Twitter as @crabbimystic.
What Are People Saying about this Title?
“I loved Saints Alive! A beautiful compendium of the amazing stories of the great heroes and heroines of our faith, combined with personal reflections and prayers (not to mention resources for group discussions and private meditation). It will serve a glorious introduction to those who have been raised to the “glories of the altar.”"
-James Martin, SJ, author of My Life with the Saints
“The saints show us that being a baptized Christian means living as a new creation, rejoicing in a life radically different from the status quo of the world. All the holy people, whose lives fill this book, show readers how to let the grace of God in the sacraments create their lives anew.”
-Stephen J. Binz, author of Threshold Bible Study, Lectio Divina Bible Study, and Conversing with God in Scripture
“Saints Alive! The Faith Proclaimed presents the lives of thirty-one holy people in an engaging format: the story. This elite group encompasses not only beloved familiar saints, but also recent ones and a few still on the way to canonization. For every beatitude and sacrament, two holy ones are offered as models. Each biography is followed by lists of interesting facts. A definite asset at the back of the book is “Reader’s Guides,” questions and resources for personal and group reflection. Reading this book is a pleasurable way to meet some of the people we hope to live with one day.”
-Mary Kathleen Glavich, SND, author of religious education materials, speaker, pastoral Associate at St. Dominic Parish, Cleveland, Ohio
“Take a trip around the world with Saints Alive! The Faith Proclaimed (and its companion, Saints Alive! The Gospel Witnessed). This book is not just a true representation of the universality of the Church, but also a practical guide to living our faith. I always tell kids that the saints are good role models, that they teach us about the faith, but often it’s not easy to see how their lives are connected with specific tenets of the faith. These exciting stories of real people show that living the beatitudes and the sacraments is possible and that we too can be saints who proclaim our faith through our day-to-day living.”
-Deacon Pedro Guevara Mann, Producer, Salt and Light Catholic Media Foundation
Living the Beatitudes: A Journey to Life in Christ
Saints Alive! The Gospel Witnessed
Trim size: 5¼” x 8″